Be Informed About Halitosis in Yorktown, VA
Having a morning breath is pretty common since our stomach performs digestion and produces less saliva that can help in naturally cleaning the mouth. Some people sleep with their mouth partly open, breathing in the mouth while sleeping can cause the mouth to dry and promote the growth of bacteria that can cause a foul odor. Bad breath can be easily removed by practicing proper dental hygiene and care, but there are instances that the condition is severe and may need immediate attention from a professional. At Yorkshire Family Dentistry, our local dentists in yorktown, va will be able to diagnose and treat the cause of bad breath with our Halitosis treatment service.
Source: Halitosis (Bad Breath) | Johns Hopkins Medicine
What is Halitosis?
Bad breath is embarrassing which can cause the patient to lose confidence when dealing with other people. While halitosis is the medical term used for chronic bad breath, this condition cannot be easily treated by merely practicing dental hygiene and using breath mints. Knowing the cause of the problem is essential for a more effective treatment to get rid of bad breath.
Reasons That Contributes to Bad Breath
- Poor Dental Hygiene. Without the help of proper brushing, flossing, and mouth rinsing foods particles left in the mouth after eating can start to break down and debris can go in between teeth which can cause bacterias and acids to attack the enamel little by little and also produce a foul-smelling odor in the mouth if left untreated.
- Infections in the mouth. Damaged teeth due to cavities can produce a bad odor especially if the infection spreads to the gums. The condition is referred to as Periodontal or Gum disease which can cause bad breath and other dental complications.
- Foods that produce a strong odor. Foods such as garlic, onions, or spices, are known to create a strong odor along with other foods. Though the smell can be removed after brushing or rinsing, the smell can still come back when the food is being digested. The digested foods turned into chemicals can enter the bloodstream and lungs which a patient can expel in the form of a burp.
- Dry mouth. The condition is also referred to as Xerostomia; dry mouth means that there is less saliva in the mouth. Saliva is essential in keeping the mouth healthy and clean by naturally cleaning all the areas in the mouth. With less saliva production, food particles are free to accumulate in the mouth and produce bacteria that can cause bad breath.
- Taking of medications. As people age, there is a high possibility that they are on medication for their health maintenance. Some medicines are known to cause the mouth to dry, and as previously mentioned, dry mouth means less saliva is produced which increases the risk of foul odor causing bacterias to develop.
- Bad habits. Drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes are factors that can cause the mouth to dry. Smoking can increase the risk of developing gum disease which is a leading factor in causing halitosis. Alcohol drinking is also known to trigger an odor in the mouth during the metabolization of the alcohol.
- Dental Appliance. There are types of a dental appliance that can be removable or immovable for cleaning and eating. Without its proper care, these appliances can serve as the breeding ground for the development of bacterias causing bad breath.
While dental hygiene practice is essential to keeping the mouth clean and odorless, several factors can contribute to halitosis. Yorkshire Family Dentistry can help patients by diagnosing the cause and by providing the necessary treatments in treating halitosis for healthier teeth and freshen breath.
Source: What Is Halitosis? – American Dental Association (mouthhealthy.org)
If you are suffering from bad breath, schedule your appointment with us for diagnosis & treatment with our Halitosis Treatment in Yorktown. Our dental office is located at 3212 Hampton Hwy, Yorktown, VA 23693.